Burning all the bridges. Cleaning up jails with ezjail-admin on #FreeBSD

I noted that my updates on my jail host didn’t actually do a delete-old/delete-old-libs during the basejail process:

ezjail-admin update -i

I tend to update my jails with my base host svn updates to -current, so there’s a bit of churn and burn with regards to old files and such. This came to a head today as my src.conf on the base host declares WITHOUT_NIS to conserve my limited space.

The python port checks for the existence of the yp binaries to determine whether or not to build NIS support. So, if the old binaries are lying around and support for NIS is removed from your system, python’s build will abort with something like the following:

Install them as needed.
====
====> Compressing man pages (compress-man)
===> Installing for python27-2.7.6_2
===> Checking if lang/python27 already installed
===> Registering installation for python27-2.7.6_2 as automatic
pkg-static: lstat(/var/ports/basejail/usr/ports/lang/python27/work/stage/usr/local/lib/python2.7/lib-dynload/nis.so): No such file or directory
*** Error code 74

I realized that even though my host system was fairly clean (I do port rebuilds after each upgrade and delete-old delete-old-libs following that), the basejail was still filled with obsoleted files.

A super dangerous and super effective way to clean that up is the following:
yes | make delete-old DESTDIR=/usr/jails/basejail
yes | make delete-old-libs DESTDIR=/usr/jails/basejail

Dangerous, because you have to realize that your deleting binaries and libraries that might still be in use if you haven’t recompiled your ports packages. Effective, because it will cleanup and purge a lot of things if you haven’t done it in a while.

This also led me to understand that the /etc/src.conf tuneables WITHOUT_* don’t *stop* the buildsystem from creating the binaries and libraries. It doesn’t seem to shorten your build time. It *will* allow you to purge them from your system at install time with the delete-old make targets.

httperf tuning for #FreeBSD testing

Was playing around with httperf to excercise Apache / stunnel SSl benchmarks on FreeBSD this week and ran into the code that nerfs simultaneous connections down from the environment ulimit of maxfiles to the limit FD_SETSIZE as defined in <select.h>.

One can override this at compile time and push the system harder by passing in some ./configure foo:

env CC=”cc -DFD_SETSIZE=4096″

However, you will then be able to max out the number of ports in use very quickly if you try to use stunnel and apache in this configuration.  I noted that on our systems we raise the low port number and reduce the high port number for connections:

net.inet.ip.portrange.first=20000

net.inet.ip.portrange.last=49151

I set first down to 2000 and last up to 65534 for my testing.  This gives me quite a bit more ports to use in testing.  At this point I can run stunnel on 443 forwarding to apache on localhost:80 and get more than 8k simultaneous connections when using SSL accelerators on FreeBSD 10